04 July 2013

Occupy Communication: Do Ask, Do Tell!

Senior year of high school was almost over. It was Friday and prom was the next day. Just before school, Dan Croft told me that no one had asked Jane, the homecoming queen-- a fun, sweet, bright, beautiful young lady-- to the prom. Everyone assumed she had a date but she and her boyfriend had broken up and no one else had asked her. Dan had a date but I didn't. "Why don't you go ask her?" The bell rang.

Mr. Alford, normally a stickler for the rules, let me out of home room when I explained. "Hurry up! get going!"

I practically ran down the hall. I explained to Jane's homeroom teacher that I had an urgent question for Jane. Jane and I went back to the hallway, and I asked her to the prom.

She looked at me oddly. "Why are you just now asking me?"

"You're super popular. Everybody loves you! All the guys assumed everyone else had asked you. I'd have asked but... I didn't really think I had a chance."

She smiled wistfully. "You're sweet. Last night I gave up hope. I decided nobody cared. I was so embarrassed not to have a date to the prom I called my cousin in Tennessee. He's going to drive two hours here to take me. I wish you'd asked sooner! I'd have been happy to go with you."

Jane made sure I got a dance the next night, ahead of the popular guys.

We both learned something about communication and assumptions.

And we both learned that sometimes people cared after all.

 

I was reminded of this reading Leigh's story on community and comments on that story at http://www.leighkramer.com/blog/2013/07/the-risk-of-community.html .

Copyright 2013, Miles O'Neal, Round Rock, TX. All rights reserved.

No comments: