06 April 2011

Love Monster Meets Schrödinger's Cat

Almost a year ago, someone from another church noticed how many of their youth were hanging out with me. They expressed concern that I was building a "cult of Miles". I believe they meant this in terms of "cult of personality", but we didn't get much chance to discuss it, beyond my assuring them that wasn't the case, as they were busy.

But as I've pondered where this question came from, I realized what had happened. They were perhaps too busy, concentrating on teaching and programs. I was simply loving on the kids. Don't get me wrong, this leader is awesome and loves his students. But teenagers-- like pretty much everyone else-- respond to love. As Jeff Kyle used to say, "Teenagers spell love "T-I-M-E" and "M-O-N-E-Y". I throw in a third spelling: "F-O-O-D". Since I was hanging out with them, going to eat with them (sometimes buying), we built relationships. I not only earned the right to speak into their lives, many of them wanted me to.

I couldn't really help it if I wanted to; I just love people. Especially teens and young adults. As Pogo might have said, "It just come all over notchural." While it's an effective way to impact people, I don't focus on that as then I wouldn't really be loving anyone. I don't think much about it, I just do it.

And as it turns out, I have a pretty good role model. I read about this guy who spent a lot of time teaching and helping people but he did it in the context of just hanging out with them, living life with them, having fun with them, crying and hurting with them, meeting their needs-- in short, loving them. Eventually he died for them. Then, blowing their minds, he came back for them, setting them all free.

I can't do everything Jesus did, but I can do a lot of it..

If you're reading this, you should know that I think you're awesome and I love you. If you aren't reading this, you should know that I think you're awesome and I love you. If you can't tell if you're reading this or not, you are probably a cat; please say hello to Schrödinger for me.

3 comments:

Miss Roadkill said...

Love it.

dandelionfleur said...

First, I love "Miss Roadkill"--that's just great. Second--yes, that's the way it is exactly. You had a good role model.

roadkills-r-us said...

That's my natural borned daughter. She still goes by that sometimes, even though she's happily married. 8^)

Thanks.