23 January 2010

A friend about to enter the USMC (Steven Eldridge) mentioned he'd been writing poetry. I got to wondering what Marine poetry would be like. This is what crawled out the shifting desert sands of my cranium.


How Do I Love You, Leatherneck?
by MSgt Elizabeth Barrett "50 Cal" Browning
-------------------------
How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways.
Like a 7.62x51 NATO in the bullseye at 1,000 meters.
Like the smell of napalm in the morning.
Like the sound of a thousand drill instructors screaming so loud their lungs come out of their mouths. In unison.



Midnight Muse by GySgt
by Edgar Allen "Alpo" Poe
-------------------------
Once upon a midnight hour
I came upon a lonely flower
Laying in the desert sand
A reminder from God's hand
That an enemy could be near
So I shot the flower, dear.

No comments: